Communication Engineering involves the study of systems, satellites, television, telephone, radar, and navigation etc. Communication Engineering is a new form of discipline. Various colleges in India offer Communications Engineering at the postgraduate level, thus leading to MTech degrees. The role of a communication engineer is to research, develop, design, and be involved in the production of communication equipment.
- Communications Engineering Courses
- Communications Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
- Top Colleges offering Communications Engineering
- Communications Engineering: Popular Entrance Exams
- Communications Engineering: Types of Job Profiles and Recruiters
- Required Skillset for Communications Engineering
- Important FAQs on Communications Engineering
Communications Engineering Courses
- Master of Engineering (ME)
- Master of Technology (MTech)
Communications Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
If a student is planning to have a career in Communications Engineering degree then he/she should have to pursue an undergraduate engineering program (BTech) after completion of which students can opt for a job or for a postgraduation program in the same stream.
- The students must have passed a BTech degree with a minimum passing percentage in the aggregation of all subjects studied in the undergraduate program.
- The admissions are done through the entrance exam conducted for admission.
Top Colleges offering Communications Engineering
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
Communications Engineering: Popular Entrance Exams
Most of the colleges offering Communications Engineering courses admit students on the basis of national or state-level engineering exams. There are many colleges that also conduct their own entrances for admission to BTech programmes.
Some of the popular engineering entrance examinations aspirants should consider appearing for admissions to PG level Communications Engineering courses are:
Communications Engineering: Types of Job Profiles and Recruiters
Communications Engineering offers opportunities in large numbers in the telecommunication sector, including, radio, television, telephone, and mobile communication, and computers, etc.
Communication engineers also find work opportunities with space agencies as technicians, engineers, and researchers. In academics, opportunities offered as lecturers, professors, and researchers.
- Technical services companies-This sector includes companies, which have operations in legal, accounting, architectural, engineering, scientific and technical consulting services.
- Government departments-Communication engineers can seek employment in jobs at PSUs or work in DRDO, ISRO, BARC, and many others.
- Equipment manufacturers and installers of communication devices/systems-Communication engineers can work in central offices or electronic service centres.
- Transport providers-Communication engineers can work with transport providers and help in forecasting the impact of new developments, write reports for planning authorities, and analyses and interpret the data gathered from transport studies.
Required Skillset for Communications Engineering
Communication skills, Technical knowledge, and Creativity are the fundamental skill sets to become a successful Communication Engineer. However, if you want to set yourself above in the crowd, here are some desirable qualities you must possess:
Good understanding of networks
Technical knowledge and ability
Adaptability and the ability to learn new skills
Communication engineers can also work on managerial and technical roles. Those who gain experience in this field can choose to work as consultants on a contract basis. Their work will basically involve:
- Managing/working with a team of engineers
- Offering technical support
- Undertaking surveys of sites
- Testing systems
- Designing/modifying designs
- Writing reports
Important FAQs on Communications Engineering
Q. Is Communications Engineering hard?
A. This course is very tough. Candidates need to pass the entrance examination to get admission in any of the institutes. Most of the students shift to other courses because of the difficulty level of the course curriculum.
Q. Is Communications Engineering better than Computer Science Engineering?
A. No, Communications Engineering is quite tough compared to computer science engineering.
Q. Who is the pioneer of electronics and Communications Engineering?
A. Claude Elwood Shannon is considered the pioneer of Electronics and Communications Engineering.
Q. Is it necessary for communication engineers to know how to code?
A. Yes, communication engineers must have a good knowledge of C programming which can help them get a job in the IT industry and core industry.
Q. What do the Communication engineers will do?
A. Communications engineers are responsible for the research, design, development, and production of communications equipment and systems. Some of the duties include designing, developing, installing, and testing system equipment and implementing procedures to make all components operational.
Popular Communications Engineering Colleges in India
Popular Private Communications Engineering Colleges in India
Most Popular Courses
- Integrated B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering + M.Tech. in Communication and Signal ProcessingIIT Bombay - Indian Institute of Technology
- B.Tech. in Information and Communication TechnologySASTRA (Deemed to be University)
- M.E. in Communication SystemSSN College of Engineering
- B.Tech. in Computer and Communication EngineeringManipal Institute of Technology, Manipal, Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- M.Tech. in Information and Communication TechnologyDhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology
- B.Tech. in Information and Communication TechnologyDhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology
- B.Tech. (Hons.) in Information and Communication Technology with minor in Computational ScienceDhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology
- B.Tech. in Communication and Computer EngineeringThe LNM Institute of Information Technology
- B.E. in Electronics and Communication EngineeringCoimbatore Institute of Technology
- M.E. in Communication SystemsRajalakshmi Engineering College
Popular Communications Engineering PG Courses in India
News & Updates
Taking an Exam? Selecting a College?
Find insights & recommendations on colleges and exams that you won't find anywhere else
On Shiksha, get access to
- 61k Colleges
- 819 Exams
- 273k Reviews
- 750k Answers
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agriculture & Farm Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Online Civil Engineering Courses
- Computer Science Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Control Systems
- Dairy Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Food Technology
- Genetic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Technology
- Instrumentation Technology
- Jute & Fiber Technology
- Marine Engineering
- Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Online Mechanical Engineering Courses
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Naval Architecture
- Nuclear Engineering
- Ocean Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Pharmaceutical engineering
- Polymer Technology
- Power Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Pulp & Paper Technology
- RF & Microwave Engineering
- Robotics Engineering
- Rubber Technology
- Silk Technology
- Soil & Water Conservation Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Textile Engineering
- Tool Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- VLSI Design
- Fire & Safety Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Engineering Physics